This post was created in partnership with Pacific Foods. However, all opinions are always my own.
During the summer months my motivation to make my family dinner is at an all-time low. We spend so much time staying active outside that often by the time we hit a meal time I’m looking for something quick and easy.
One thing I’ve learned this summer is that quick and easy doesn’t need to mean take out or something unhealthy!
I’ve been cooking so much more than I ever have this year, which means I’ve tweaked some older recipes, and created a few new ones that I love putting together.
Since staying active is something that we put a great deal of importance into, what I’m feeding my family has become just as important.
One of my favorite recipes that I’ve made a few times over the last couple months is my Tuscan Chicken Pasta.
This pasta can be made two ways, and in this particular case I substituted out the sundried tomatoes for hothouse tomatoes for my son. Because my son doesn’t love the kick of red pepper flakes, that’s something I didn’t add this time around, but it’s something you can add to this recipe as well. Either way this pasta is light and easy to make on those summer nights when you’ve spent the day outside and you have a major appetite.
This recipe also doesn’t involve much prep work, and includes fresh ingredients which is perfect for when you want to nourish your family with a delicious meal.
Last week I shared the recipe for my Mexican Quinoa Bowl, and I spoke about using Pacific Foods Organic Broth. In my quinoa bowl I used their Organic Vegetable Broth, but for this recipe I used the Pacific Foods Organic Low Sodium Chicken Broth.
The broth is made with organic free-range chickens, and not only is the broth organic, but it’s also corn free, gluten free, dairy free, wheat free, yeast free, low fat and soy free!
I’ve been growing my own vegetables in my backyard and shopping at farmer’s markets this summer, so making sure every ingredient including the chicken broth is made by a company with sustainable practices and carefully sourced organic ingredients is important to me.
Pacific Foods Organic broth has no additives or preservatives which is one more reason I chose them when selecting ingredients for my family’s meals.
Here are the details on how to make my Tuscan Chicken Pasta!
1 ½ pounds of boneless skinless organic chicken breasts (cut into slices)
2 Tablespoons of olive oil
1 Medium Onion
1 Pound of linguine (or other pasta)
1 Cup of Pacific Foods Organic Low Sodium Chicken Broth
1 Cup heavy cream
1 Teaspoon of Italian seasoning
1 Teaspoon of chopped fresh garlic
1 Cup of fresh chopped spinach
½ Cup of hothouse tomatoes (chopped) or sundried tomatoes (chopped)
1 Teaspoon of red pepper flakes (optional)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Add water to a pot of water with a dash of salt until boiling. Add pasta and cook to Al dente.
2. Add ½ cup of Pacific Foods Organic Low Sodium Chicken Broth to a pan on medium heat. Add strips of chicken until cooked through (approximately 4-6 minutes). Set aside.
1. Use the drippings from the chicken pan and add the chopped onion, and cook until softened.
2. Add the fresh garlic and cook for one minute.
3. Add the tomatoes and let them simmer for three minutes. (Also add the red pepper flakes here if you would like!)
4. Add the remaining ½ cup of Pacific Foods Organic Low Sodium Chicken Broth to the pan, and let simmer for three minutes.
5. Slowly add the cup of heavy cream, and simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Add the shredded parmesan cheese and stir until melted.
7. Add the spinach and stir until wilted.
8. Add the chicken back to the pan. Allow to simmer.
9. Finally, add the pasta to the pan. Add salt and pepper to taste before serving.
Items in this post may have been provided to me for review, but all opinions are fabulously my own.